We’d considered Millom parkrun a number of times over the years but always been put off by the drive – its about 5 miles as the crow flies but a 20 mile windy drive around the peninsula / Dudgeon Sands – but now with Mr Ts new found enthusiasm for parkrun tourism it was game on. After an enjoyable evening in the Railway Arms we were up bright and early and navigated round to the start at the school just as you enter the town. Parking was easy and we followed the locals around the building to the start point.
I was more than pleasantly surprised to see the infamously muddy run had been replaced by a brand new bouncy track – not ideal for my trail shoes but better than mud!
There was just a short briefing and then we were off!
We ran separately as Mr T was still struggling with his achilles and wasn’t even sure if he’d make it round. The course is basically 5 laps of the slightly oddly shaped 1km track. I’d never run a 5 lap course before and was expecting to hate it but actually found it quite enjoyed it. The field soon spread out and it was great for tracking down the person in front – not always a faster person!
Unusually my first lap was quick, I then slowed a little for the 2nd lap and progressively increased the speed. The track was lovely and bouncy and the views across to Black Combe on the first half of each lap was beautiful.
I was delighted to finish up 16th overall and 1st lady in a time of 25:51 – my fastest for a long time.
We decided not to stay in Millom but headed back to Barrow for a delicious brunch at Peace and Loaf Bakehouse in Barrow.
Parkrun stats –
Cowell Club Challenge progress (over 100 different park runs)
- Fell Foot Windermere
- Dalby Forest
- Flatts Lane
- Fountains Abbey
- Cotsford Fields
- Stewart Park (home)
- Windy Nook
- Conyngham Hall
- Castle Howard
- Bushy Park
- Whinlatter Forest
- Temple Newsham, Leeds
- Druridge Bay
- Brierley Forest
- Prudhoe Riverside
- Marshall Drive
- Sale Water Park
- Eden Project
- Upton Court
- Portobello Edinburgh
- Hackworth Park
- Gunnersbury Park
- Tees Barrage
- Albert Park, Middlesbrough
- South Park, Darlington
- Ford Park
- Heslington, York
- A Albert
- B Barrow / Bushy / Brierley Forest
- C Catterick / Cotsford Fields / Castle Howard / Conyngham Hall
- D Durham / Druridge Bay / Dalby
- E Eden Project
- F Fell Foot / Flatts Lane / Fountains Abbey / Ford Park s
- G Gunnersbury
- H Heslington s / Hackworth / Hartlepool / Harrogate s / Herrington
- J Jubilee
- K Keswick s
- M Marshall Drive / Millfield / Maxima / Millom
- N Newcastle s / Northallerton
- P Penrith / Prudhoe / Portebello s
- R Redcar / Riverside
- S Stewart / South Park / Sale s / Sedgefield / Stretford / Silksworth
- T Tees Barrage / Temple Newsham s
- U Upton Court
- W Whinlatter / Windy Nook
- Y York
Parkrun challenges completed
- Tourist – Run at 20+ different parkrun locations anywhere in the world
- Single-Ton – Run 100+ parkruns at the same location (Stewart Park)
- Christmas Day – Run a parkrun on the 25th of December (completed 2018)
- NYD Double – Run two parkruns on one New Year’s Day (completed 2018)
- All Weather Runner / Monthly – Run in each month of the year (completed 12/12/2015)
- Bronze Level Obsessive – Run 30+ parkruns in one calendar year (2016 (38) / 2018 (39))
- Silver Level Obsessive – Run 40+ park runs in one calendar year (2017 (40) / 2019 (40))
- Bushy Pilgrimage – Run at Bushy parkrun, where it all began.